Friday, November 26, 2010

18 - Mephisto, continued

       “We should do something about the boy.”
       “That is a thought to consider,” Veri muses, swirling the wine in his glass, studying the whirling trails of bubbles rushing up through the pale gold. “While it would not do to interfere with the amusements of our companions... they would find a new toy soon enough. And I do not think this one will provide as much entertainment as they had hoped.”
       “We already have access to the priest – Luce seems to get on with him quite famously, and it seems Meres and Adir have spent a good deal of time with him as well.”
       “True. And Meres has begun painting again. He will soon forget all about the boy in any case, so we might as well cut the needless slow decline short.”
       I raise an eyebrow curiously at this news. “Has he? I had not heard. Have you seen any of the paintings?”
       Veri falls silent, his entire body sinking into itself. He empties his glass again, and pours another, without answering me. Either the subject of the paintings is too painful, or Meres has not allowed Veri to see them. I am not sure which would be the worse for Veri, but in either case, I will receive no further information.
       We are quiet for a time, losing our thoughts in the idle wanderings of the music which blows though the atrium, swirling slowly around the quiet echoes of the wilder music from the room we have left. Veri shivers, and I wrap an arm around his slim shoulders. My skin is hardly warmer than his, but he seems to draw comfort from the gesture nonetheless.
       “Would you care to return inside? There are, of course, other rooms that we might visit.”
       Veri sighs, shaking his head slowly. “No... no, I shall return home now, I think. I am weary, and will draw nothing more of worth from this party.”
       “I am sorry it so failed to bring you a worthwhile diversion,” I reply politely. I am a little hurt, but not much, for I know that there are moods which come to us all, in which nothing, no matter how wondrous and sensual and exotic, can soothe the troubled mind and body.
       “It did, for a time... and I am glad to have talked with you. I see you so rarely, my dear Mephisto. Do bring me some music, on days when I have no strength to leave my rooms. You are so much more knowledgeable in that area than I, and I should be glad for some change in the sounds about the place.”
       I smile broadly at this, and caress his cheek lightly as I stand. “I would be happy to do so, darling. Send word round to me, at any time.” I offer him my hand, and he rises slowly, wincing a little as he does so. “Are you quite alright? Shall I have someone accompany you home?”
       “No! No, I... I will be fine in a moment. The cold, you know, it makes the body move so awkwardly.” He holds to my arm for several steps, then straightens and forces a smile. “Thank you for a pleasant evening, Mephisto. I do hope to see you soon.”
       “It was my pleasure, dear Veri.”
       He turns away, and leaves the atrium through a darkened doorway, presumably to avoid seeing anyone else on his way out. I remain for a moment, breathing in the cool air, letting the sweet waves from the hydraulis fall against me.
       David. I shall go find David, and perhaps we might find a small, warm room off the atrium, where the gentle music can caress our ears all through the night. Certainly I cannot leave him in that room of such loud debauchery – perhaps he has already been awoken! Oh my dear little boy, I would not have you sullied by such depraved hands. You are mine yet, and I do not wish you to be spoiled by others. I shall kiss you gently awake, and see your blue eyes smile as they find it is my face they open to. And I will rest in the beauty of your presence all the night, away from this party I have attended a thousand nights before, the pleasures and iniquities that have filled so many years. Though there is peace to be found in deafening sound, which drowns out all thought and concern, there is a greater peace to be found in silent beauty, which melts away all fraught worries, washing them from the mind and leaving it a quiet fresh bit of slate.
       David, my dearest one, my heart's only rest... do stay with me this night, and ease my troubled soul.

0 comments:

Post a Comment