Saturday, November 13, 2010

Notes

I was just checking up on when Oscar Wilde's "The Happy Prince and Other Tales" was published, to see if using "The Nightingale and the Rose" as a basis for the ballet was entirely absurd. 1888 - so, the story itself was written sometime before, and either which way, that's right about the correct time period.

I skimmed over Wikipedia's summary of the story (which I might re-read this morning, for reference and for sheer love of the thing), and discovered a good bunch of adaptations of the story have been done, including - totally unbeknownst to me - A BALLET. lmao. Had no idea. From 2007, so totally irrelevant to the story, but that's better for me anyway. Two reviews linger on the 'nets, the first of which is lovely, and, the way the nightingale seems to have been portrayed is *exactly* the thing I had in mind myself. I feel so validated. (The second review was brief and negative, dissing both the story and production, and saying the story was an odd choice for a ballet. I think it's absolutely perfect - simple by way of plot, incredibly rich in emotion.)

P.S. No I have no idea why Luce has brought a tiger to the theater. The thought popped into my head, and it seemed a good whim for him to have. Very decadent and absurd. He demanded to be allowed to do it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment