Sunday, November 21, 2010

Notes - Ancient Greek Music

Aaand a few hours later, I have decided that apparently my Phistos are going to have a Greek party. Very original, isn't it? But I now have a full page of tiny scrawl about ancient Greek instruments, and vague notes on the different tonalities.

Highlights of the day's internet digging:

Reconstructed hydraulis, video.

A site I have read in its entirety... and though I was here for the Greek, the Hurrian melody has really.. well, eaten my soul. Music in cuneiform!!! There is a midi file there, and then there is this guy, who has a lyre and plays not only that song, but the Delphic Hymns to Apollo (138bc! most of it intact!), and loads of other interesting things.

The Song of Seikilos is the oldest intact piece of music, and the lyrics translate like this:
While you live, shine
Don't suffer anything at all;
Life exists only a short while
And time demands its toll."


There are also these folks, who are working to make digital reproductions of instruments that no longer exist. This is fascinating to me. So far, they've managed the Greek epigonion, but they're working on a handful more - and I reallyreally wish some snippets were available of the others, but... I have some descriptions (thanks wiki), at least.

...all of this, will be more than enough for the probably single paragraph at most of describing the scene I should have written hours ago. whoops. At least I've learned that the aulos, in all its various forms, is not a pretty little flute-like thing. It's a reed instrument, and has that harsh edge to the tone that oboes and bagpipes and things do. Luckily there are loads of stringed things, and the syrinx (pan-pipes).

0 comments:

Post a Comment