Monday, November 29, 2010

Note - Research on Enoch, Grigori

...can be a pain in the butt. I wanted to check up on my basis for Jocelyn, who we might actually meet if I ever make it to the writing part of my day. In my notes from '07, I have listed Johnalyn, female, being the prettiest of all the angels.

All over the internet, all I can find is this SAME SENTENCE copied over and over on a dozen pages:
"According to the Book of Enoch, Johnalyn was known as the prettiest of God’s angels that did not betray Him. She became most well known for the inspiration of Eve. As God made Adam in his own image God made Eve in the image of Johnalyn."

It's almost always in a paragraph on Lust, part of a few pages worth of text that has been copied over and over again on different websites. Not only is this kind of non-credited plagiarism irritating and angering, but... where the $#^*(Q)# are people getting this from?? I just ran a search through my pdf of Enoch, and there is NO mention of a Johnalyn. The only mention of Eve is that she was led astray by Gâdreêl.

...when November is over, I will sit down and actually read all through The Book of Enoch (The Book of the Watchers, anyway - I'm not sure reading through the more mystical allegorical bits will do me much good).

It's just making me all kinds of crazy, that I cannot find a source for this information. Not that it should actually matter - my rational: if Johnalyn didn't fall, then obviously Jocelyn borrowed the name, to bolster her own reputation as beautiful. All works quite nicely actually.

Still.. I hauled out my copy of A Dictionary of Angels, to skim over the descriptions of my characters again. Not that they all wound up following the attributes granted them in Enoch and elsewhere - and I realize now that many of the names were pulled from lists of fallen angels, not the grigori.. buuut, things get muddled in time. There are only twenty grigori listed, and there were 200 or so more who fell along with them. Even among the twenty names, at least two of them might be different variations of the same name.

But my Luce is prideful, and Azal likes his eyeliner, so all is well. And maybe I'll find a way to work in Penemue - he taught mankind how to write, which I love, but I wasn't able to find a way to make his name pretty enough to use, back in '07. ;p

0 comments:

Post a Comment